The Breckenridge Wine Classic is BACK! Join us in Breckenridge this fall and sample from hundreds of high-end wines.
Tag Archive for: summit county events
Bring the Whole Family Together This Winter
Get your family out of the house this winter with an epic trip to Colorado’s snowiest mountain village, Breckenridge. You’ll find that we are a “celebrate anything and everything” type of town. From the Race of the Santas to the International Snow Sculpture Championships and more, you’ll always find the town buzzing with excitement. Read on for details on a few exciting events on the calendar for the upcoming winter season!
While Breckenridge offers numerous winter activities for visitors all season long, the events we have on the calendar are bound to be a great time!
- Frisco Wassail Days (Nov 27-Dec 5, 2021) — Wassail Days is Frisco’s festival celebrating all things winter. Wassail is a hot, spiced cider served during the holiday season and often shared amongst friends and family. So naturally, Wassail Days is full of libations and celebrates everything the holiday season has to offer.
- The Lighting of Breckenridge & Race of the Santas (Dec 4, 2021) — A slightly reimagined version of the traditional lighting of Breckenridge will take place this year. Our 250,000 LED holiday lights hung throughout the town are luminated on on the 4th and will stay lit all winter long to spread joy and bring life to the holiday season through the town.
- Breckenridge Ullr Fest (Dec 8-12, 2021) — The traditional Ullr Festival will take place this winter with reimagined features to ensure we can celebrate Ullr, the Norwegian snow god, safely. Ullr Fest is traditionally celebrated to honor the coming winter season and to pay tribute to Ullr for his gift of snow. This year’s festival will feature a weeklong celebration consisting of games, parties and more.
- International Snow Sculpture Championships (Jan 24-30, 2022) — The world-renowned International Snow Sculpture Championships (brought to you by the Breckenridge Tourism Office) is a competition pitting 16 teams from around the world against one another. Each team is tasked with carving a 20-ton block of snow into an enormous, intricate work of art using only hand tools and creativity to bring their vision to life.
The ongoing global health pandemic has required us all to modify our plans in order to remain safe and to abide by local and national health regulations while still attempting to maintain some traditions. Though some features of these events have been modified to adhere to public Colorado health and safety regulations, there really is no better time to celebrate the great outdoors than now!
Winter Activities Happening All Season
While many visitors come for the can’t-be-beat, epic, on-mountain terrain, Breckenridge offers endless winter activities for all those who don’t ski! From cross-country skiing to dog-sledding, snowmobiling, sleigh rides, ice skating, and more, the possibilities for non-skiing activities are endless.
If you are planning your trip to Breckenridge this winter and looking to book some epic winter activities for all of the non-skiers in your group or even some last-minute activities the whole family can enjoy, we’ve got you covered. Check out our list of the Top 100 Things To Do in Breckenridge, download a visitor guide, or contact Breckenridge Grand Vacations to connect with a vacation specialist to plan your trip!
Stay With Us!
While there are many lodging options to choose from in Breckenridge, the Grand Colorado on Peak 8 offers an experience that can’t be beat. With a location directly on the mountain, you’ll experience the magic of waking up with the sun and stepping out onto a balcony overlooking the entire ski resort. The luxury amenities like ski-in/ski-out access, onsite spa, indoor/outdoor aquatics, fitness facility, dining options, and more at make the Grand Colorado the perfect home base for your next Breckenridge vacation.
Scared mud season is just too muddy? Don’t worry! Despite its dingy reputation, there are many surprising reasons that locals consider May through June to be one of their favorite times of year here. Ever visited Breckenridge during the holidays or Fourth of July? If so, you already know just how mobbed this small town gets. Breckenridge is 7 miles long and includes one of the world’s best ski resorts, which brings a lot of tourism. Although there are significant peak seasons that bring people from all over the world, there is also a “mud” season in between winter and summer that offers a great alternative to enjoying a Breckenridge vacation!
1.) SAVE big during May and June
During peak seasons it can be almost impossible to find lodging in Breckenridge unless you plan far in advance. Not only can it be hard to find a place to stay, the prices during May are super affordable and the variety of options are abundant. Since there is also a lag of tourism in Breck during this time, most restaurants offer great deals. Top restaurants offer 2 for 1 deals and some even ½ off deals. Eat at some of the finest restaurants and save BIG!
2.) Quiet town – no crowds and lots of PARKING!
If you have ever experienced Breckenridge, you will know that there is a shortage of parking in the area. The town has a three hour parking limit to try and alleviate some of congestion and frustration of finding a place to park. During the peak seasons you can spend 30 minutes or more just finding a place to park. Come visit during May and early June and you will not have an issue. There are more than enough spots to park and you can easily maneuver through town. It is a local’s favorite time of year because of the peace and quit. The town turns in sanctuary that brings a new appreciation for the surrounding Rocky Mountains. One of the greatest perks of vacationing in Breck during mud season is the absence of traffic on I – 70. This major highway is jam packed all winter and over peak summer seasons. What would usually take an hour of travel from Denver can take up to five hours! Visiting during mud season keeps you out of the car and exploring more of this historic town!
Although the ski resort is closed during most of these months, there are tons of other activities to explore during mud season in Breck. The number one activity to do during the “run off” season is rafting. White water rafting down the Colorado River during the mud season is a must do. The rapids are large and the scenery of the Colorado River and surrounding area will have you in awe. If you want to explore the beauty of the mountains, this is the way to do it. If you still want to experience the snow, try snowshoeing! There is typically still snow melting this time of year which makes it possible to snow shoe at high elevations. If you are ready to get out hiking, there are still hikes you can explore, but make sure to bring some hiking boots as there will be some mud. Another fun activity to try is fishing! This popular Colorado sport is great family fun activity. The rivers and lakes in the high country are filled with natural trout!
Mud season in Breckenridge has some mud of course, but not enough to ruin your adventure in the high country. Take a local’s advice; visit Breckenridge during mud season and take advantage of all the perks during this time of year! Your wallet and your sanity will thank you!
The sun is out, the flowers are bloomin’ and it’s the perfect time to come visit Breckenridge! Grab your favorite hiking buddy and head on up! Check out all of these events going on this weekend:
Friday, July 15th:
- Friday Night Flights! Wine Tasting | 5 – 9 pm | Breckenridge Wine & Cheese | 304 S Main St | $15
Saturday, July 16th:
- Mac & Cheese Fest | All Weekend Long | Copper Mountain | 0509 Copper Road, Copper Mountain CO | Price Varies
- Canvas Painting Party! | 7 – 10 pm | Ready Paint Fire | 323 N Main St | $35
- Zach Balch – Live Music | 6 pm | The Historic Brown Hotel | 208 N Ridge St | Free
Sunday, July 17th:
- The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe |1:00 pm | The Breckenridge Backstage Theater | 121 Ridge St | $15
- Breckenridge Summer Fun Park | All Day | Base of Peak 8 | Price Varies
Looking for somewhere to stay in Breckenridge? Check out our newest lodging special and stay at the Grand Lodge on Peak 7 and get TWO Adventure Passes to the Breckenridge Summer Fun Park for FREE! Click below to learn more.