The Ultimate Guide to Breckenridge Bike Trails
By Laurel Coffman / June 17, 2022
With over 100 miles of hiking and biking trails, first time riders and seasoned experts alike can enjoy the high alpine on two wheels. With sweeping mountain views and mild temperatures, Breckenridge is a mountain biker’s paradise. This guide covers mountain biking in Breckenridge from A to Z so you can shred single-track in no time.
Mountain Biking Trails
The options are endless for riders of all abilities in Breckenridge. We’ve covered some beginner, intermediate and expert trails below, but if you’d like to explore the extensive trail network in Breckenridge, click here.
What to Bring
- Water: Make sure to bring plenty of water for your ride! The dry air in Breckenridge causes sweat to evaporate quickly so you may not realize when dehydration sets in. Avoid bringing plastic water bottles as they tend to fall out of bottle holders on bikes. Instead, opt for a backpack with a bladder or a bike-specific water bottle.
- Sunblock: Since Breckenridge sits at 9,600′, U.V. levels are increased by about 40% compared to sea level. Protect your skin by applying an SPF of at least 30, even on cloudy days!
- First Aid Kit: Carrying a small first aid kit is a great idea for any outdoor adventure. Falls, scrapes and bumps can happen easily on a bike, and you’ll feel better knowing you can patch yourself up if anything happens.
- Multi-tool: Having a bike specific multi-tool is great for common road and trailside repairs. They commonly feature multiple hex wrenches, screw drivers, spoke wrenches and more so you can perform a quick fix on the go.
For the more advanced riders, find our complete gear list here.
Mountain Bike Tours
If you aren’t sure of the trails and would like some assistance getting around, we recommend booking a mountain bike tour. These will be tailored to your skill level so you can be sure you are on appropriate trails. All riders on tour should have around the same skill level.
Colorado Adventure Guides offers tours, shuttles, and skills labs for all levels of riders:
- Half-Day Guided Ride:
- $265/1 person
- $160/2 people
- $135/3 people
- $110/4-5 people
- Call for rates/6+ people
- Full-Day Guided Ride:
- $380/1 person
- $200/2 people
- $175/3 people
- $150/4-5 people
- Call for rates/6+ people
Bike rentals are not included in this price, so you can bring your own or contact CAG for help finding a rental. Call 970-668-8900 to set up your tour.
Mountain Bike Rentals
Need a rental? There are plenty of rental shops in town where you can rent all of the gear you need.
Christy Sports Lone Star
Mountain Biking Trail Etiquette
Before you find your cadence, make sure you understand proper trail etiquette so you can have a smooth ride. You’ll find the following rules of the trail throughout Breckenridge:
- Respect all trail users: treat them with courtesy regardless of their sport, speed or skill level. Bikers should always yield to hikers and horses.
- Stop, not yield, to all uphill traffic. Expect and anticipate other users on blind spots and corners. Pass with care.
- Keep single track single, don’t leave trail to pass or shortcut.
- Stay off muddy trails. Ride/walk over, not around, obstacles.
- Pick up and carry out all waste.
- Have fun, enjoy our trails, be nice and make friends!