There are few better ways to reward yourself than with a hot boozy drink after a day on the mountain. Take a stroll down Main Street and try out some of the best boozy hot chocolates, ciders, spiced wine and anything that you could desire.
If you’re visiting Breckenridge for the holidays, you may have holiday traditions that you bring with you, or you may be looking to start new traditions with your family. The Best of Breck team has shared their favorite ways to celebrate the holidays in Breckenridge so you can feel right at home!
When it comes to the holiday season, we like to consider Breckenridge a winter wonderland. There’s magic around every corner with twinkling holiday lights, a fresh blanket of snow and a bright and spirited atmosphere. Seasonal events, winter activities and pure holiday magic make Breckenridge the perfect holiday destination.
There’s no better way to get in the holiday spirit than by attending one of Breckenridge’s iconic events. The first Saturday of December brings the Lighting of Breckenridge and Race of the Santas, an event that heralds the holiday season. The event kicks off with a holiday dog parade, followed by hundreds of Santas racing down Main Street. The grand finale occurs when Blue River Plaza is illuminated with more than 250,000-holiday lights.
Celebrate all things winter and pray for snow December 8–11 at Breckenridge’s Ullr Fest. This multi-day event honors Ullr, the Norse God of Snow, and is filled with celebrations like the “unofficial” world’s longest Shotski, Ullr Parade and Ullr Bonfire.
There is an abundance of activities available around Breckenridge so you can make new holiday memories with your family or celebrate an old tradition.
- A Christmas Story: Join Breckenridge Backstage Theater as they perform A Christmas Story December 7–30. Secure your tickets in advance here!
- Sleigh Rides with Breckenridge Stables: Picture a horse-drawn sleigh ride in the quiet snow, wrapped in a warm blanket next to your loved one while the sound of sleigh bells rings in the air. We can’t think of a more quintessential holiday activity.
- Winter Ice Show: Enjoy an evening of holiday-themed entertainment at the Stephen C. West Ice Arena in Breckenridge on December 10. This family-friendly show includes performances from local youth and adult figure skaters.
- Ice Skating: If you’d like to give ice skating a whirl, head to the quaint outdoor ice-skating rink at the Grand Colorado on Peak 8. Grab a cup of hot cocoa at Ullr Café, rent your skates and enjoy mountain vistas and outdoor firepits between laps.
- Sledding: Enjoy a little free holiday fun by heading to the sledding hill at Carter Park! Many people leave their sleds to be reused, or you can stop by the local City Market to buy your own.
- DIY an Ugly Sweater: Join BreckCreate for a date night on December 16 and prep for your next holiday party by creating your very own ugly sweater. You and your partner will craft to your heart’s content while enjoying an adult beverage, or two.
- Shopping: Breckenridge is a haven for small, locally-owned boutiques and shops. Grab a cup of coffee and take a stroll down Main Street while you tick items off your holiday shopping list. Our holiday shopping guide will help you find all the unique and specialty shops in town.
During the holidays, you might want to feel at home even if you’re away from home. The Grand Colorado on Peak 8, Grand Lodge on Peak 7 and Grand Timber Lodge are all properties that will make you feel right at home. From their superior service and amenities to their spacious residences, there is a little bit of everything you need. As a bonus, these properties offer the option to add a Christmas tree to your room for an extra fee. Be sure to secure your dates before they are gone!
- Make Advance Reservations: The holidays are a popular time of year and bring many visitors from all over the world. Lodging and dining tend to fill up early and fast, so be sure to plan ahead for special dinners. In addition, booking ski rentals and activities ahead of your stay will ensure you and your family will spend more time together and less time in lines.
- Explore Hidden Gems: Breckenridge is filled with hundreds of bars, restaurants and shops and some of them are a little off the beaten path but well worth the visit! Discover a few Breckenridge hidden gems when the popular stops in town are hopping.
- Plan for Winter Weather: In December Breckenridge is like a winter snow globe with average highs in the 30s and average snowfall around 57 inches. Be sure to be prepared to keep warm and dry with the appropriate outerwear and layers. Our winter packing guide has you covered from gloves to ChapStick.
Celebrate family traditions and create new memories with your loved ones this Thanksgiving in Breckenridge.