Spring Skiing Packing Guide
February 1, 2022 / Sammy Mazza – Updated: January 16, 2023 / Lauren Parker
Spring in the mountains is such a majestic time! There are endless bluebird days, longer days in the sunshine, and warmer spring skiing weather! Don’t get caught being unprepared! When planning for a spectacular ski vacation to Breckenridge, excitement is going to snowstorm your mind when thinking of everything you need to pack. Don’t fret; we have put together the perfect ski vacation packing guide for you!
- Base Layers – If you hate being cold and having shivers, make sure you don’t cheap out on thermals. If you are in the market for new thermals or didn’t pack the best ones, make sure you stop by Mountain Outfitters, North Face, or REI. Base layers could make or break your ski vacation, so ensure you get good ones!
- Socks – Cold feet — one of the worst things to endeavor while spending the day on the mountain. Avoid cold feet, and make sure to pack extra warm socks. Stop in Joy of Sox on Main Street if you forgot to pack those fuzzy warm socksJoy of Sox on Main Street! They will hook you up with warm and fashionable socks of all different sizes.
- Outerwear – You will want to pack your warmest winter jacket and ski pants. The weather in the mountains is very unpredictable, you may have a bluebird day, or you may be in a winter snow globe! Make sure you are prepared for all weather by packing your best winter jacket and ski pants.
- Goggles – By far, the most critical factor on the mountain is your ability to see. Goggles protect your eyes from the sun’s glare on the snow and protect your vision while zooming down the mountain in a winter wonderland.
- Ski Pass/Tickets – Want first chair and fresh tracks? That powder isn’t going to last forever. To avoid the ticket office lines and the stress, ensure that you have your lift tickets or season pass.
On the Mountain
- Skis, ski poles, or snowboards – These may be the most important things to remember. As your mind is in a whirlwind, it might slip your mind. Avoid the hassles and headaches of dealing with the airlines, and simplify the way you travel! Ship Skis can arrange door-to-door transportation of your ski gear and luggage from anywhere in the world in just minutes.
- Boots – Don’t ruin that perfect day on the mountain by forgetting your boots. Pro Tip: keep your boots next to the heater or fireplace, so they’re nice and toasty when you put them on.
- Helmet – Protect your noggin! If you forget your helmet, stop by Craniologie in Breckenridge to pick up a helmet. They also offer goggles if you are looking for the entire setup!
Want to try skiing or snowboarding for the first time and don’t have your own equipment, or don’t want the hassle of packing your own equipment? Don’t worry — here are a few places that rent everything you need to make the most memorable ski vacation!
Things you may Overlook
- Bathing Suit – After you just got done spending the best day shredding on the mountain, soaking in the hot tub to let your muscles relax sounds GREAT! There is no better feeling than sitting in the hot tub with the cold crisp air hitting your shoulders while the rest of your body soaks! While running through all the things, you must pack, make sure your bathing suit is not one of the things that slip your mind.
Uh-oh! It slipped your mind, and you left your swimsuit sitting on top of your dresser. A stop by Patagonia or Marmot is now on your itinerary.
- Sunscreen – Breckenridge is located at 9,600 feet, making the sun nearly 40 times stronger than sea level. There is no bigger bummer than getting a ski sunburn on a winter vacation. It could put a damper on your skiing experience. Make sure you pack eye protection with UVB protection and sunscreen.
Forget your sunscreen? Swing by your resort spa or market to pick some up! If you need some new sunnies, Sun Logic on Main Street is a great place to pick some new ones up!
- Chapstick – No one enjoys having cracked, dry or bleeding lips. You can never have enough chapstick, so pack a few!
If you have cracked, dry or bleeding lips, stop by our local City Market and pick up a few. They have a variety of scents and brands to choose from!
- Reusable Water Bottle – Breckenridge is located at a high altitude, and it is essential to stay hydrated! Staying hydrated will help keep altitude sickness at bay and ensure the best ski vacation. Bringing your reusable water bottle helps protect our fragile mountain environment from enjoying for years to come.