A Local’s Guide: the Highest Distillery in the World
05.23.2022 // by Nicole DeCesare & Emmily Van Dorn
Sitting at 9600′, Breckenridge Distillery is the highest distillery in the WORLD. Pretty cool, right? They even blend water from the Rocky Mountain snowmelt into their booze for “mineral infused perfection.” Whether you’re a bourbon lover, whiskey fanatic, rum kind of guy (or gal), gin enthusiast, or a strict vodka drinker, they’ve got something for everyone!
From their award-winning bourbon and flavored vodkas to a tantalizing culinary experience in their restaurant, your taste buds will be jumping for joy. Cleanse your palate and get ready to do some tasting, Breckenridge style.
Take a VIP Tour
Spice up your Breckenridge excursion with a once in a lifetime tour and tasting. Here you’ll learn about the history of whiskey and how these talented distillers produce award winning spirits featured across the globe!
Join the staff for a complimentary half hour tour available Sundays between 11:30a.m. and 4:30p.m. Or better yet, upgrade your experience to include a unique tasting of products after-hours. You and your closest friends will leave feeling like master distillers! *Please note, complimentary tours are first come, first serve. An after-hours tour can be reserved online.
Here’s your chance to win a whiskey blending experience with Breckenridge Distillery’s Head Distiller!
We had the pleasure of enjoying a private tour and tasting, and our “booze guide” was a riot! All the employees there are very knowledgeable, personable, and entertaining; it was an absolute blast talking spirits. We tried basically everything they had with zero remorse. Here are some of our favorites:
Breckenridge Whiskey PX Sherry Cask Finish
- Taste: Aged in ripe, fruity vessels, this whiskey emerged with complex layers of fig compote, orange marmalade, and licorice to complement the sweet oak and vanilla character of the world-renowned bourbon whiskey.
- Fun Fact: This Sherry is a three-time Best American Blended winner and Double Gold winner at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
Breckenridge Blend of Bourbon Whiskeys
- Taste: SMOOOOOOOOTH. Warm, pronounced aromas of under-ripe banana and brown sugar with subtle, spicy notes of white pepper and toasted sesame.
- Fun Fact: This bourbon is one of the most highly awarded craft bourbons and has one of the highest rye contents on the market.
*If you enjoy this one, try the Distillers 105 High Proof Blend.
- Taste: Fragrant. Delicate floral notes layered throughout the profile. The juniper body is balanced with notes of bright citrus and complimentary spicy undertones.
- Fun Fact: Named World’s Best Gin and two-time gold winner at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition — this has been deemed “the Gin for people who hate Gin.” Give it a shot.
Breckenridge Vodka Chili Chile
- Taste: Smoky. Turkish Chili meets Colorado-grown Pueblo Chili to bring you a worldly taste on the palate.
- Fun Fact: Mix this with Tree Line Bloody Mary Mix and you will be hooked — the BEST Bloody Mary we have ever tasted!
- Taste: Exquisite. The bitters strike a remarkable balance of alluring aromatics, herbal and bittersweet flavors. Some swear that it starts off sour and turns sweet, and others say it goes sweet to sour. Try it for yourself!
- Fun Fact: Won Best in Show at the 2014 New York World Wine and Spirits Competition. We aren’t surprised.
This entire experience was a blast. It’s the perfect idea for a date night, family outing, “Sunday Fun-day,” and much more. Click here for more information.
Treat Yourself to the Founder’s Experience
Looking for more variety? Enter the Founder’s Lab for a riveting experience of high-end flights that can be perfectly paired with a bite prepared by the chef!
- Flight of flavor: vodka, gin, bitter, aquavit, spiced whiskey
- Vodka, Neat: pear, chili Chile, espresso vodkas, as well as a bitter palate cleanser
- Cask-Finished Flight: bourbon, port cask-finish, PX sherry cask finish, madeira cask finish, rum casks finish
- Chocolate and Spirits Flight: An exquisite pairing of five Breckenridge spirits and chocolates from around the world!
***We simply cannot wait for the Founder’s Flight and Connoisseur Flight coming soon.
Elevate Your Flight With a Bite:
- Rum Cask Finish Glazed Pork Belly
- Charred Kobe Beef
- Yorkshire Pudding Boat
- Old Fashioned Glazed Pecans
- Southern Spiced Lettuce Wrap
Some of Our Favorite Apps & Entrees From This Season
- Smoked Pork Belly Buns: pickled fresno, white radish, green curry mayo, sweet cashew
- Beet and Maitake Mushroom Salad: house ricotta, charred leeks, Banyuls vinaigarette, lavender
- Potato Leek Bisque: bacon lardon, confit potato, charred leek, herb creme fraiche, chili vinegar
- Handcut Tagliatelle: lacinato kale, root vegetables, grana padano, black summer truffle
- Za’atar Spiced Colorado Lamb Loin: house made lamb bacon, English peas, citrus yogurt, pistachio, lamb jus
- Chicken and Dumplings: hen of the woods, leeks, Korean rice cakes, blue crab, dashi
We had a tough time deciding what to get, we hope this helps! Check out their full menu for a list of all the tantalizing cocktails, exquisite entrees, and once in a lifetime tours!