With its expansive and varied ski terrain, friendly and inviting town and endless variety activities and events, Breckenridge is considered one of the top family-friendly destinations in North America. Breckenridge has always been known as a world-class ski destination and summer playground, and that makes Breckenridge a warm and welcome place for families, too. Kids and adults of all ages will find it challenging to find time to fit it all in. Here are some of the reasons we think Breckenridge is one of the top family-friendly destinations in North America.
Breckenridge Ski Resort
Breckenridge Ski Resort is winter’s main attraction. Breckenridge offers a broad mix of ski terrain and fun on-mountain activities for kids of all ages. Both Peak 8 and Peak 9 have expansive beginner terrain and slow skiing areas as well as ski schools. Having a safe environment to learn and an experienced ski school staff will set kids up for a lifetime of winter fun.
Further up the mountain, there is plenty of easy and moderate terrain for families to enjoy. At 3.5 miles long, Four O’Clock Run is the longest run and is the perfect example of fun and easy yet challenging runs that cross the landscape of Breckenridge Ski Resort.
Breckenridge has kid adventure zones dotted around Peak 8 and Peak 9 that offer kids fun while working them on speed control and agility in varied conditions. Riperoo’s Forest and the Haunted Forest on Peak 9 and the Peak 8 Dragon Tail has a castle and giant dragon.
Breckenridge Arts District
Breckenridge Creative Arts was founded in 2014 and is a leading innovator of the arts in Colorado. Breckenridge Creative Arts brings artists, makers, musicians, writers and more to Breckenridge and has led the way in transforming Breckenridge into the artistic mecca it is today. There is so much to do
The Breckenridge Creative Arts District is the center of it all. The profusion of studios, galleries, performance spaces and more offer family’s endless opportunities for fun and learning.
Breckenridge loves to show off its rich mining history. The Breckenridge Heritage Alliance manages museums, historic properties, historic parks and sites. Learn how gold brought people to Breckenridge over 150 years ago and “white gold” brought Breckenridge back and turned it into the world-class destination it is today.
Start at the Breckenridge Welcome Center in Blue River plaza with interactive exhibits and information on the best family-friendly things to do in town. Visit the Rotary Snowplow Railroad Park and learn about how pioneers kept the rail line open over Boreas Pass all winter. Visit Tiger or Reiling dredges and see how dredging transformed Breckenridge’s landscape. Take a tour of the Downtown historic district with trained guides that dress in period costumes. There is so much history to explore in Breckenridge.
Summer or winter, activities are what makes Breckenridge what it is. The backdrop of the Rocky Mountains provides activities of all sorts for families with kids of all ages. Here are a few ideas.
Go hiking. Just put one foot in front of the other, take a step and repeat. Hiking trails are everywhere in Breckenridge and many trails start right in town. Regardless of where you are in Breckenridge, there is always a trailhead nearby and likely easy hiking to beautiful natural settings.
Go Biking. Miles of bike path and easy trails are all around and there is a bike rental shop on every block. Breckenridge’s summer culture is built on biking. There is even lift-assisted downhill biking at Breckenridge Ski Resort in the summer.
Drop the kids off. Looking for a little adult time? Check out the programs and fun activities offered at the Breckenridge Recreation Center. Swimming, rock climbing, day camps, biking camps, skateboarding, tennis and more are all offered at Breckenridge expansive recreation center.
Sledding is family winter fun. What is more fun for a family than sledding? Breckenridge has the best sledding hill in Summit County at Carter Park. Grab some sleds and head over to the sledding hill. It is right in town and easy to get to from anywhere.
Sleigh rides, dog sledding, snowmobiling, Nordic skiing, show shoeing and ice skating in the winter. Rafting, fishing, ATVs, festivals and farmers markets in the summer. We can keep going. There is so much to do in Breckenridge for families. Come see why Breckenridge is a top family destination all year round.
Check out Grand Colorado on Peak 8 for a great family lodging experience. With some of the best amenities including indoor/outdoor pools and hot tubs, resort activities, trail and skiing access Grand Timber is the perfect family resort.
It’s no secret that 2020 has presented some major challenges thus far; and, sometimes it’s difficult to decide on what to do or where to go to make the most of our free time in the safest way possible. It’s important to factor in the current pandemic, but it’s also important to make sure our lives are not being put on hold. As a local living in Breckenridge, I see my mountain town as a perfect destination for my friends and family to not only visit, but to truly have fun despite the hurdles that this year has sent our way.
As you think about what to do with your vacation time and how to do it safely, where do you see yourself? I see myself enjoying the outdoors and reconnecting with nature alongside my loved ones. I see myself playing outside, with well over six feet between myself and those I don’t want to be in close proximity with. This is why Breckenridge is the perfect place to be this winter. Here’s a list of some of the things that I know I will be doing (beyond skiing) to make the most of my winter in the 2020/2021 season.
- Sledding – The options for sledding hills around Breckenridge are truly endless. One of my personal favorites is Carter Park. This activity is sure to bring smiles (whether you’re watching or participating) in a socially distant setting outside.
- Cross-Country Skiing – This is the perfect way to get in a little workout, breathe in the fresh air and spend some quality time outdoors.
- Snow Shoeing – This is also an awesome alternative to skiing. You can make it as hard or easy as you want! Pack a lunch and explore some places you never thought you’d find yourself in the winter.
- Après – This one is a given. Who doesn’t enjoy finishing skiing, snowshoeing (or literally anything) and ending the day with a beverage and good company? It really adds the cherry on top to a good day. Share some stories of the day, laughs and cheers to the good times that Breckenridge has brought you!
- Fat-Tire Biking – Who knew biking on snow could be so fun! Rent some gear from one of the many spots that offer fat-tire bikes in Breckenridge and explore some trails or ride through town! Don’t forget your helmet and gloves, though!
- Spa Day – Ah yes, spa day. Unwind, relax and treat yourself with a massage, facial or just hang out in the adults-only grotto all day and let the bubbles take your worries away. My personal favorite is Infinity Spa.
- Ice Skating – Can you say perfect date night?! Check out the ice rink at the Grand Colorado on Peak 8!
- Fly Fishing – There’s a sweet spot in the winter where the rivers have either yet to freeze over, or they’re melting just in time and the fish are ready to bite! Walk into any local fly fishing shop, ask them where the fish are and they will be more than happy to direct you to the perfect spot. Dress warm and make sure you have all the right equipment!
- Dog Sledding – I went dog sledding for the first time last winter and all I can say is, “wow.” All my favorite things combined: dogs, the outdoors, smiles and sledding. Check out Good Times Adventure Tours and make your reservation now!
- Hot Tubbing – who doesn’t like slipping in a warm tub after a long day of adventuring?
- Movie Night – However you feel most comfortable—in or out! Rent a movie and pop some corn or head over to Breckenridge’s Speak Easy Movie Theater, where you can see the best flicks. Not to mention, you can also enjoy a nice glass of wine there, too 😉 .
- Hot Chocolate & Baking – An extremely underrated activity for those days when it might just be a little too cold out, or maybe your legs are still shaking from skiing the day before!
- Snowmobiling – Yup, it’s as fun and fast as it sounds! Grab your family or group of close friends and make your reservation today at Breckenridge Snowmobiling.
- BreckCreate Art Classes – Check out the classes that BreckCreate has to offer and explore your creative side with some professionals.
- Dinner Sleigh Rides – Every year, I go back to Two Below Zero for a magical dinner sleigh ride. It is one of my favorite winter activities. There’s something so beautiful about riding a horse-drawn sleigh through the glistening snow-covered trees under the moon then drinking a warm cocoa with some entertainment and a fantastic meal to finish the night off.
- Gr8 Escape Room at the Grand Colorado on Peak 8 – Put your detective hat on and test your problem solving skills with some friends. Call the Grand Colorado’s Activities Desk to book your reservation: 970-547-8781.
- Snowcat Tours – Reach new heights and explore the places you never thought you’d find yourself! Not to mention, the COOLEST form of transportation ever.
- Historical Tours with the Breckenridge Heritage Alliance – Go back in time to when Breckenridge was all but a small mining town with a few saloons. The guides at the Heritage Alliance are sure to make you smile and you will walk away feeling like a true history buff.
- Gold Runner Coaster – Ride a roller coaster on a mountain in the middle of winter? Yes, please! Get your tickets online at Breckenridge Ski Resort.