Breckenridge’s renowned decorations aren’t the only festivities illuminating Main Street this season. This mountain town’s unparalleled charm is at an all-time high, and winter lovers can’t help but be drawn here. Although the holiday season brings out the #BestofBreck, it can be difficult to swing a trip while budgeting for all the people on your “Nice” list. But, the BOB staff has some good news: you’ve made it onto our “Nice” list, and we’ve got a gift for you. Below, we’ve compiled a list of economical ways to enjoy Breckenridge without burning a hole in your wallet. Now, there’s no need to worry about being called a Grinch because you’d rather spend your savings to ski than shop.
- Lift Tickets: This is probably the biggest expenditure for most visitors. If you plan on skiing or riding while in town, it is heavily recommended that you purchase tickets in advance from Vail Resorts or browse Liftopia, which often has even bigger savings. Check out lift ticket and lodging bundle packages here. This is an excellent way to make sure you’ve got your biggest needs for your getaway covered at an impressive discount.
- Free Buses in Breck and Summit County: Don’t waste money on an expensive rental car! Take an affordable shuttle from DIA to Breckenridge, and enjoy any of the free transit systems in the county once you’re here. The Free Ride will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go in Breckenridge. Should you have a desire to venture to Keystone or Arapahoe Basin, the free Swan Mountain Flyer will get you there in no time (don’t worry about how hard you après, because this bus runs until 8:35 pm on evenings that night skiing is available). Want to check out Frisco or Silverthorne? Hop on the free Summit Stage at the Transfer Station! If you have a Copper pass, we didn’t forget about you. Check out this bus route. Please note that most hotels and condos also have their own complementary shuttle services that often provide on demand transportation.
- Dining Specials: Visit the Grand Lodge on Peak 7’s site for an overview of the best places to feast in Breckenridge. You can also see the Summit Daily’s list of the latest dining specials in town or explore the Breckenridge Dining Guide to reference the finest cuisine in the area. Eating out on vacation doesn’t have to be expensive with the extensive happy hour and lunch deals abounding in Breck. We recommend the Quandary, Blue River Bistro, Mi Casa and Motherloaded Tavern for happy hour. The Breckenridge Brewery has amazing lunch specials daily that include full meals and complementary brews. Mountain Flying Fish often has half off sushi. Downstairs at Eric’s will always be a family favorite with the best wings, pizza and arcade in town!
- Wax Your Own Equipment: Getting your gear waxed is necessary when skiing Breck, but it doesn’t have to cost you half the price of a lift ticket- that’s half of a day of riding right there!! Stop by Mountain Wave to grab waxing supplies, then watch this awesome video with step by step instructions on how to give your skis or board the best waxing they’ll ever have.
- Getting your Gear Here: Oversized and/or additional baggage fees will leave your wallet empty quick. Opt to ship your equipment ahead of time for cheaper and easier transport. If that’s not your style, renting is always an option and Christie Sports at the Grand Timber Lodge has great deals (and if you’re a guest or owner, you get 20% off). You can rent all the gear you need, or bring your beloved boots and just grab skis or a board at the shop (but don’t forget a helmet). Feast your eyes on this blog for further details on how to ship and rent equipment, and see the packing list for your trip!
- Lodging: Breckenridge is one of the most visited resort towns in North America and lodging prices often reflect that. To avoid overpaying for sub-par accommodations, make sure to book your stay with Breckenridge Discount Lodging and we promise you won’t be disappointed! If you have the option, reserve digs that include a kitchenette or kitchen. Cooking your own breakfast and/or other meals will dramatically decrease your spending. Not sure what you can make in a kitchenette? Read this blog for the yummiest wholesome meals that you can conjure up in a crockpot while you après in the hot tub.
If you incorporate the above tips into your Breck getaway, you’ll save significantly. Can’t argue with that, right? So, get it out of the way and go purchase some holiday gifts with that extra cash (you’re welcome). Then, get yourself and your loved ones to Summit County as soon as possible. After all, Breckenridge is the best gift that keeps on giving…